Jonathan Majors’ Lawyer Calls Assault A ‘Witch Hunt’
Jonathan Majors appeared in a Manhattan court on Tuesday and was charged with assault and harassment in connection with his arrest in March. His lawyer calls the case a racially motivated “witch hunt”.
The 33-year-old “Creed III” actor attended the hearing via Zoom and spoke only to confirm that he agreed to appearing virtually rather than in person, according to PEOPLE.
RELATED: UPDATE: Jonathan Majors’ alleged victim has been granted a restraining order ahead of the court date
Majors’ attorney claims domestic violence case was a racially biased ‘witch hunt’
In a statement received from The Shadow RoomLawyer Priya Chaudhary described the assault charges against the actor as a victim of a racially motivated “witch hunt”.
She also stated that they had presented the district attorney with “irrefutable evidence” that the victim was lying in the case, “including video evidence showing nothing happened,” Chaudry said.
“We have presented the district attorney with irrefutable evidence that the woman is lying, including video evidence showing nothing happened, particularly where she claimed it did. We did so with the prosecutor’s express promise that they would not “fix” and change her case as we had proved the woman was lying…”
Chaudry claims that the victim in the case changed her story multiple times, arguing that her “place shifts” and “her story changes” as the case progresses.
“But this false case continues, the woman’s alleged whereabouts shift and her story changes. This is a witch hunt against Jonathan Majors fueled by unsubstantiated claims.”
Chaudry further accused the district attorney of “adjusting the charges to reflect the woman’s new lies” and clarified that there were no new charges against him. According to AP News, the court has issued a “revised domestic violence charge” against the actor.
“Instead of dismissing the allegations in light of the woman’s clear lies, the prosecutor amended the charges to reflect the woman’s new lies. For the record, there are no new charges against Mr. Majors.”
Majors’ lawyer added that while they said they had “more” video evidence of his innocence, they were reluctant to share it for “fear the prosecutor might tip the woman off to change her story again.”
Chaudry went on to call her MCU star client a victim of racial bias and pointed to a perceived “double standard between the treatment of Majors … and his accuser.”
“The criminal justice system is saturated with explicit and implicit bias…” Chaudry wrote. “This blatant double standard between the treatment of Jonathan Majors, a 200-pound black man, and his accuser illustrates the racial bias that pervades the criminal justice system.”
Updated complaint says Majors have been pulling on their “right middle finger” which has caused significant pain
Majors was arrested in Manhattan on March 25, 2023 on the misdemeanor charge of strangulation, assault and molestation as part of a reported domestic dispute with his girlfriend.
In an updated complaint obtained by The Daily Beast, the woman states that the incident began around 12:40 p.m. in downtown Manhattan. At this point, Majors reportedly pulled on her right middle finger, causing bruising, swelling, and significant pain.
“I kept watching [Majors] grab my right arm, put it behind my body and use his hands to twist my right forearm and right middle finger, causing significant pain in my right forearm and right middle finger. I kept watching [Majors] He slapped my right ear with his hand, causing significant pain and a laceration behind my right ear.”
The alleged victim says Majors pushed her into a car with “both hands,” causing her to fall backwards. Prosecutors had previously argued the incident caused her “minor injuries to her head and neck.”
Jonathan Majors could face a YEAR in jail as his charge is upgraded to third degree assault https://t.co/m5SzKBZ5Ax pic.twitter.com/vEZYZQwmNa
— Daily Mail US (@DailyMail) May 9, 2023
The background to Majors’ domestic violence case since his arrest on March 25
As The Shadow Room As reported last month, the Majors’ alleged victim was granted a restraining order in the weeks leading up to her court date on Tuesday (May 9). According to The Hollywood Reporter, the majors must still comply with the order and are not allowed to contact the accuser.
According to the actor’s lawyer, the action is “standard in such cases.” In addition, the attorney stated that Majors’ legal team “approved because Mr. Majors wants nothing to do with the woman who assaulted him.”
Additionally, the actor could face up to a year in prison if found guilty of a charge in his domestic violence case revealed this morning, according to Hollywood Handle.
So far, Majors has reportedly been dropped by his talent manager entertainment 360, his second recent setback in terms of representation after Lede Company took a hiatus from representing the Avengers actor last month. Additionally, the majors and fashion house Valentino reportedly “amicably agreed” that the actor would not be attending this year’s Met Gala as one of their guests.
The actor’s next court hearing is scheduled for June 13. According to AP News, majors must attend in person. Otherwise, an arrest warrant can be issued against him.
Comments are closed.