Choose secures proof in Ralph Yarl taking pictures case
In criminal proceedings against found evidence Andrew Lester will stay out of the public eye. Earlier this week, a Missouri judge granted Lester’s request to have the case partially sealed. Lester has reportedly received threats and harassment since the shooting Ralph Yarla black teenager, in April.
Lester’s attorneys filed the protective order in late May. They claimed that the continued media attention to the case raised concerns about safety and a fair hearing. The Clay County judge approved Wednesday (May 31), according to ABC News. The evidence is withheld from the public but made available to prosecutors and the defense.
“This court finds that the taking of evidence and supporting evidence admissible in evidence not only compels the closure but is also necessary for cause,” the judge wrote, according to CNN. “The threats and harassment demonstrate that the defendant’s life and physical safety are at risk.”
RELATED: Andrew Lester, 84, pleads not guilty to shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl
In their first file, Lester’s attorneys raised concerns about the integrity of the trial, citing, among other things, the creation of bias in potential jurors and unreliable witnesses. His home, pictured above, was regularly vandalized with spray paint and eggs, reports KMBC 9.
The publicity of the case and subsequent harassment also forced Lester’s wife to move out of their nursing home, according to Lester’s attorneys. As for Andrew, his lawyers also claim that the 84-year-old needs police assistance whenever he travels.
JUSTICE SENT? Andrew Lester, 84, has been charged with first-degree assault and armed crime for the shooting and shooting of 16-year-old Ralph Yarl. Yarl reportedly accidentally went to Lester’s house while trying to pick up his siblings and was shot twice. pic.twitter.com/Uth8QwYF8L
— TheShadeRoom (@TheShadeRoom) April 18, 2023
Teenage shooting victim’s aunt slams judge for sealing evidence to protect alleged shooter
Meanwhile, Yarl’s aunt, dr Faith SpoonmoreHe told KMBC 9 Lester was “angry” and “trying to find a way out”.
“I look old? I see fragile? I help old people I help fragile. That’s bad. That’s bad. This is trying to find a way out,” Spoonmore said. “And no, you don’t get sympathy. From nobody. You don’t deserve sympathy. We will not give you a passport due to your age. No, because after he shot my nephew, he was so well he was among the first to call 911.”
JUST IN: Andrew Lester has pleaded not guilty to the shooting death of Ralph Yarl, who accidentally knocked on Lester’s door while trying to pick up his young brothers: @fox5dc https://t.co/hp42qGm7cl pic.twitter.com/ 3HNGNlHOL9
— Shomari Stone (@shomaristone) June 1, 2023
Lester reportedly shot and killed Yarl after the teenager went to the wrong house to pick up his 11-year-old twin siblings. Court records say Lester shot the then 16-year-old through a glass door. The 17-year-old boy was shot once in the head and once in the arm.
Yarl continues to recover from his injuries at home, according to his family. But the teenager’s aunt, Dr. Spoonmore added that he’s suffering from debilitating physical pain, not to mention the emotional trauma he’s endured.
“He’s only 17 years old. He’s going to have to fight his whole life, he’ll have to fight to deal with everything that happened as a teenager,” Spoonmore said.
In light of this decision, we urge the prosecutor to remain vigilant to seek full justice for Ralph – who is working hard to restore some measure of normality.
— Ben Crump (@AttorneyCrump) June 1, 2023
Lester pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree assault and armed crime shortly after his arrest. The Shadow Room reported. AP reports that he has since been released after paying 10 percent of his $200,000 bail.
According to a Thursday court decision, Lester’s preliminary hearing dates are scheduled for August 31 and September 1, according to ABC News.